Paglaum scholars receive summer pay

Around 29 Paglaum scholars who were accommodated as summer job employees are P4,000 – P5,000 richer after Gov. Hilario P. Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale handed their summer pay yesterday.

The Cebu Provincial Government allocated a budget of P149,924 for the students’ summer job program.

According to Provincial Employment Service Office (PESO) head Mathea Baguia, Capitol hires students during summer time receiving minimum pay as provided by Republic Act 9547 or Special Program for Employment of Students.

She added that this is only 60 percent of the students’ pay given by the Provincial Government. The remaining 40 percent is subsidized by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

“Spend your money wisely,” said Davide in a message to the students.

img_9049

The summer job students were assigned to work in Capitol during their summer vacation while others worked in their respective municipal offices for about 25 days.

One of the students, 20-year old John Philip Luyao from Asturias planned to buy school supplies from his pay and give the rest to his parents.

He is taking up Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology in Cebu Technological University (CTU) Tuburan.

Dave Abella, 19, who worked in Toledo City Hall last summer will give half of his P5,000 to his mother and the other half to buy his school needs.

He is a second year student taking up Computer Science at the University of Visayas Toledo City.

As provided for in the provincial ordinance that established the Paglaum Scholarship Program, each qualified scholar gets P10,000 as tuition fee subsidy and P1,500 subsistence allowance every month.

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *