Magpale optimistic Paglaum to go on despite new leadership

Cebu Vice Gov. Agnes A. Magpale said that the Capitol’s Paglaum scholarship program will continue even with the change in administration on June 30.

“We were given a go signal by our legal office to proceed because this is a continuing project, and besides dili pwede undangon nato ang (para) sa mga bata,” said Magpale.

Gov. Hilario P. Davide III approved the P20-million budget for this year’s Paglaum. This budget enables the Cebu Provincial Government to accommodate at least 500 additional new scholars on top of the 1,375 current program beneficiaries.

Last year, the Province allocated P10 million for the Paglaum program.

For this year, more than 1,000 applicants took the chance to beat the March 15 deadline and submitted all the requirements, giving them the ticket to proceed for the next phase of the qualifying process, which is the interview.

Interviews of applicants will start next week, June 3.

The Paglaum scholarship program was established in the second semester of 2016, through Provincial Ordinance 1450-2016.

This educational grant will provide subsidy to differently-abled, the marginalized, the less-fortunate and the poor but deserving students, including children of drug surrenderers.

It started with a P1-million budget for 143 scholars who will get a P1,500 monthly allowance and a P10,000 tuition subsidy.

“It is the only scholarship grant that accepts the not-so-bright, poor but willing to study college students,” said Magpale.

“Bisan pobre ta, pobre man jud ang atong ginikanan, ayaw lang jud kawad-i og paglaum. Kay naa jud programa ang Kapitolyo na makatabang nato,” said 20-year-old Paglaum scholar Mildred Oroc.

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *