The Office of the Provincial Agriculturist has proposed a P6 million crop rehabilitation plan for the typhoon-affected areas in northern Cebu.
The total losses on crops is initially pegged at P849,351,406.40 based on their farm gate prices. The total number of affected number of farmers reached 19,898.
Officer-in-Charge Provincial Agriculturist Dr. Roldan Saragena said the numbers could still rise as there are local government units in the badly-affected northern Cebu that have not been able to render reports because of poor access to farm areas.
Based on the damage assessment report of the Provincial Agriculturist, vegetables suffered the most losses of P422,808,400.00. Banana followed with P154,541,975.00; Corn-P142,192,487.40, Mango-P114,099,100. Sweet Potato, Rice and Cassava also sustained substantial damage.
In so far as agriculture is concerned, Saragena identified 14 LGUs that were severely affected: Pilar, Tudela, San Francisco, Poro, Bantayan, Santa Fe, Madridejos, San Remigio, Daanbantayan, Bogo City, Medellin, Tabuelan, Tabogon, and Borbon.
The partially affected were Asturias, Balamban, Toledo City, Tuburan, Sogod, Catmon, Carmen, and Danao City.
Saragena said these LGUs will be the beneficiaries of his proposal, which he has submitted to Governor Hilario P. Davide III.
Agriculture Consultant Dr. Romulo Davide said they are now in a rehabilitation mode. He specifically encouraged the planting of camote since it has a high percentage in surviving a typhoon and it is very easy to consume.
He also vouches for the raising of domestic animals like chicken, swine, and cattle.
For the fruit-bearing trees, Saragena said that mango is not yet included in the rehabilitation plan because the farmers will still need flower inducer to produce its fruits. Instead, he added that they preferred jackfruit and guyabano.
On November 28, the Provincial Agriculturist’s Office will go to Bantayan Island to distribute various kinds of seeds and fertilizers. Xerxes Alkuino