Vice Governor Agnes Magpale assured justice to the family of the four-month-old infant who was abducted and allegedly raped in Barangay Perrelos, Carcar City, last week.
Magpale, a staunch advocate of women and children’s right, said that the provincial government will help the family attain justice by providing legal assistance in pursuing the case against the suspect identified by authorities as Jonathan Marfe.
Last February 10, Carcar City police arrested 40-year old Marfe a few meters away from the victim’s house. Investigators found wounds in the girl’s genitals after they brought the infant to the Pink Room of Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.
“We will see them through,” said Magpale when asked by reporters if the Capitol would provide legal assistance to the family.
The vice governor said she will also ask Gov. Hilario P. Davide III to help the family fix their house.
“I think the reason the suspect was able to enter the house is that it does not have a door,” said Magpale, vice chairman of the Provincial Women’s Council.
Aside from legal assistance, the Capitol will also foot the hospital bill of the baby, Magpale said.
Davide is set to personally meet with the parents of the baby tomorrow (February 15) in time for his visit in some towns in South Cebu for the distribution of cash incentives to barangay workers.
Meanwhile, the parents of the infant are expected to file a formal complaint against the suspect today, according to Chief Inspector Jose Liddawa, chief of Carcar City Police Station.-30- (Kelvin Canizares)