Cebu Provincial Government
Cebu Provincial Government


Lacson Asks Copy of Capitol’s Rehab Plan

lacson1The provincial government was asked to submit its reconstruction plan to the country’s rehabilitation czar, former Senator Panfilo Lacson.

Governor Hilario P. Davide III said he received a text message from Lacson, a day before the province held a multi-cluster needs assessment workshop at the Capitol last week.
The governor said Lacson asked to send him a copy of the Capitol’s reconstruction plan, which was formulated out of the workshop.

In their meeting last Friday, December 13, the executive committee of the Provincial Development Council (PDC) approved the draft P24.7 billion-reconstruction plan of the Capitol.

However, Davide said the estimated cost might be too much as it accounted for more than half of the P49 billion budget of the country’s rehabilitation plan for the typhoon-hit Visayas region. The reconstruction plan will still be finalized before it will be presented to the Regional Development Council (RDC) 7.

Around 92 percent of the Capitol’s estimated budget was intended for shelter and resettlement, as based on the housing program of the National Housing Authority.

According to the governor, Lacson was aware of the Capitol’s Task Force Paglig-on, which will have similar functions with the office of Lacson.

The task force will be an enabling body at the provincial level, where stakeholders, donors (local or international non-government organizations) and the government meet.
The damage assessment, consolidated by the task forcewith the help of the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) and the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Assistance (UN OCHA), will be used as the basis for the province to coordinate all rehabilitation efforts.

The province has its own calamity funds but it is not enough. It needs assistance from external sources.They don’t want to be presumptuous but the Capitol has high hopes they can get help from the national government with Lacson’s help.

The task force is also mandated to oversee the balanced distribution of assistance.
Provincial AdministratorAtty. Mark Tolentino, in an earlier meeting,stressed the need to avoid duplication of aid to a particular area while another area is yet to receive.

Vice Governor Agnes Magpale, League of Municipalities of the Philippines-Cebu Chapter President Democrito Diamante Jr., Mayors Celestino Martinez Jr., and Raymond Joseph Calderon, Task Force Paglig-on Head Baltazar Tribunalo Jr. were present during the meeting. Xerxes Alkuino