Home / Provincial News / Guv wants to settle 93-1 issue before 2016

Guv wants to settle 93-1 issue before 2016

| by: News News

IMG_4570Governor Hilario P. Davide III told the Provincial Ordinance 93-1 beneficiaries he is interested to solve the issue before his first term expires in 2016.

In a meeting last August 13 with the beneficiaries, who now call themselves 93-1 movement,,Davide said he will form a Technical Working Group (TWG) to look into their various concerns and proceed from there.The group was led by Emily Malto.

Provincial Board (PB) Member Grecilda “Gigi” Sanchez-Zaballero and Capitol Real Estate Division Chief Engr. Paul Entera shall be part of the TWG.

He also assured them that he would consider the four concerns that the group presented as reasons for the failure of the previous negotiations.

The four concerns are hasty and insufficient consultation with the homeowners, unconscionable lot prices, short-term payment, and the forfeiture of payments to those who fully paid.

Some of the homeowners were in the verge of finally acquiring the lots they are occupying when they signed memorandum of agreements (MOA) with the previous governor to purchase the lots. Vice President JejomarBinay also signed as a witness. But it failed to move since then.

Provincial Board Member Peter John Calderon said one of the reasons it failed is that they themselves were disorganized. He said when the province entered into an agreement with a particular organizationanother group was left out, which further muddled the issue.

Calderon also urged the homeowners to unite themselves so that the negotiation will prosper.

Malto said they are very willing to acquire the lots that they have been occupying for several years now even before the promulgation of the ordinance in 1993.

She said she had read in the newspapers about Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama’s willingness to help as they are the city’s constituents but she uttered they are fed up of waiting for others’ intervention.

Like the governor, she said they urgently wantan end to this issue. “Abinimo, mura ta ugnagpuyongadunatay curse ba, nganaadihapirmiug di ta katulogngamaghayang (You know, it’s like we are living with a curse that we cannot sleep on our back,” she said.)

The 46 homeowners associations are coming from 11 barangays in Cebu City: Luz, Apas, Capitol Site, Busay, Lahug, Kalunasan, Kamputhaw, Tejero, Mabolo, Lorega, and Kasambagan.

From the 5,000 original household beneficiaries, around 4,000 families are still occupying the province-owned lots without legitimate titles. (Xerxes Alkuino)