Cebu Provincial Government
Cebu Provincial Government


Guv wants speedy investigation on sea mishap

Governor Hilario P. Davide III wanted authorities to speed up their investigation on the capsizing of MB Nirvana.

“I’m hoping nga madali ni nila. We have to find out as soon as possible who is liable,” he told the media in a press conference last July 6.

The governor said he is also willing to assist the survivors or the families of the victims find lawyers in case they will pursue their cases against the liable individuals.

Governor Davide, who flew to Pilar last July 6, said he had been hearing reports that the boat is overloading and the ship captain was negligent.

He said once the investigation is finished, the appropriate government agencies will act immediately. President Benigno S. Aquino III has called for the investigation on the sea mishap.

The investigation is currently done by Philippine Coast Guard and Maritime Industry Authority in Ormoc City where the accident took place. It killed at least 59 passengers, who were bound to Pilar, Camotes Island, Cebu Province.

At least 140 survived the accident, including 16 crew members.

He said the Capitol already sent a letter to guarantee the payment of funeral services and hospital bills in Ormoc City.

The Capitol will also give burial assistance to the fatalities. The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) and the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) were tasked by the governor to check on the victims since last Friday (July 3).

Pending investigation, Governor Davide advised sailors to examine their ships if these are seaworthy and listen to the advisory of the weather bureau.

He also asked the Philippine Coast Guard to strictly inspect the vessels before giving clearance.