Davide lauds CPPO for the arrest of New Year’s Eve crime suspect

IMG_4659Governor Hilario P. Davide III lauded the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) for a “job well done,” after nabbing the suspected murderer and robber of the bank where he worked for, in Daanbantayan town, northern Cebu.

Davide did not promise any reward on the arresting officers. He said the police officers were not really after the monetary reward for doing their responsibilities, but he will open it up to the provincial board.

He hoped the appropriate charges will be immediately filed.

After four days of hot pursuit since the crime was committed on New Year’s Eve, suspect Berly Tudtud, 29, a Fair Bank security guard, was captured at the house of his friend in SitioGamboa, Tadlong, Sagay City, Negros Occidental on Sunday, January 6.

CPPO Director Noel Gillamac brought him to the governor’s office on Monday. Also present were Senior Inspector Wilson Abot, who headed the manhunt operation of the Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB) of CPPO and Supt. Rodolfo Albotra, PIB chief.

Gillamac said it’s different when the prime suspect is captured and brought to trial so they can show that crimes can be solved with the help of the public.

He added that in their initial investigation they believed that Tudtud was not alone and that the crime was pre-meditated.

He believed the motive is to kill his fellow security guard, who allegedly spread intrigues against him. It was found out that Tudtud was about to be terminated from his work effective on New Year’s Day.

Gillamac was referring to Tudtud’sfellow security guard Dean Deserto, 26, of Barangay Dakit, Bogo City. Also killed were Deserto’s live-in partner Cecilia Torre, 30, and Jenelyn Megabon, 26, of Medellin town, who just happened to have rendered overtime work at time of the incident.

In his interview however, the tearful Tudtud admitted the crime. He apologized to the families of the victims saying he was forced to rob the bank because of poverty and he did not intent to kill them.

“Kwarta lang tuyo ko kay para pangaplay nako trabaho sunod tuig… gamay ra man ako sweldo tapos ang uwahi nakong sweldo sa bangko wa nila gihatag, mao na nga nainip ko,” said Tudtud, who was born in Sagay City.

After the incident, the suspect buried the gun he used in the crime in Barangay Dakit. According to GillamacTudtud cooperated with the police in locating the weapon. He however, denied taking money in the amount of P80,000 as declared by the bank. The police only recovered P20,000. Xerxes Alkuino