Inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) voluntarily surrendered 184 cellular phones early this month in an effort to regain their visitation privileges.
CPDRC Officer-in-charge Bobby Legaspi sealed an agreement with the inmates’ to surrender their kept phones in exchange of the family visitation.
Governor Hilario P. Davide III recently ordered to resume inmates’ visitation last September 5 after it was suspended last month. The suspension came last August after alleged irregularities in CPDRC were reported and Arnel Mait, an inmate, escaped the facility.
Legaspi asked inmates to surrender their phones and other contrabands after around 50 phones were confiscated last September 1 in a surprise inspection inside the facility.
The confiscated phones, according to the officials, were used by the inmates to contact their families and to continue illegal activities outside CPDRC.
“No sanctions will be put on the inmates who surrendered their phones. Their families will also be allowed to visit them,” said Legaspi.
However, he added that inmates who will be caught with a phone will have their visitation privileges suspended. The cell mayor and the entire cell where the inmates belong will also be sanctioned.
Surrendered SIM cards were examined and sledge-hammered by the Philippine National Police.
Family visitation resumed last September 5. CPDRC has set up a visitation room for the inmates and their families.
Each inmate is only given 30 minutes to speak to their visitors. Physical contact is strictly prohibited except for legally married couples.
Visitation is allowed from Mondays to Fridays from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Legaspi said the CPDRC dancing inmates’ performance as well as other livelihood programs will continue except for a few changes in the security measures. (Katrina Diaz)