Governor Hilario P. Davide III instructed the Provincial Council for the Welfare of Children to take custody of four (4) minors, who were rescued by the local police from a motel in Bogo City last week. The provincial government will look for temporary shelter for the minor victims.
The children, believed to be sexually molested by a 73-year-old Canadian national, were brought to the Capitol last April 15.
At present, the Capitol does not have a refuge for abused girl-minors but may find space in the women crisis center upon its completion. The crisis center, which is located in Sudlon, Lahug, Cebu City, is estimated to be finished in June or July.
“Right now, as what was practiced before, ang PCWC moduol og mga (turned to) privately-run institution aside from the facility of Department of Social Welfare and Development,” he said in a press conference.
Vice Governor Agnes Magpale, co chair of the Provincial Care for the Welfare of Children (PCWC) said the children will not be turned over to their relatives. She also said that they are still asking for more testimonies from the children.
The girls aged nine to 10. Two of them are sisters and came from the town of Consolacion. They were caught in the company of the Canadian national who is now detained in Bogo Police Station jail.
The Bogo children’s grandmother and mother were also arrested. They were charged with child abuse and human trafficking. The motel owner could also be held liable for the violation of the Anti-Child Sex Tourism Ordinance of Cebu Province.