Cebu Provincial Government
Cebu Provincial Government


Capitol: Hoping for more Ironman to happen in Cebu

“Everyone deserves congratulation. We are hoping for more Ironman in Cebu,” said provincial administrator Atty. Mark Tolentino in his speech before the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines organizing committee and local media during the thanksgiving lunch hosted by Sunrise Events Incorporated (SEI) last September 2.

Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines was a tremendous boost to Cebu’s tourism industry and local economy. It had booked 2,500 participants from six continents and 40 countries this year.

10647578_10152345711818947_255960591_nSEI organizers thanked and awarded the Cebu Provincial Government, Department of Tourism (DOT) 7, Cebu City Government, Police Regional Office 7, and Dr. Peter Mancao and Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation (ERUF) for their efforts that contributed to the success of the event.

Whether the international triathlon will host its fourth competition in Cebu next year, SEI project director Princess Galura declared that Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines may be extending its stay.

The Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines is one of the most popular and biggest triathlon races in Asia and Cebu successfully hosted its 3rd edition last August 3.

“We want to be here. There are things need to be ironed out for next year, especially the roads.” Galura said.

As soon as the venue will be finalized, organizers will announce in the following weeks the details of the extension and the number of years it will hold the activity.

“The possible route for next year is still the existing one, but we are also considering bringing it to the northern part of Cebu,” Galura added.

She was thankful for Cebu media partners for the constant reminder of the traffic advisory and re-routing announcements that eased the traffic situation.

Last year’s triathlon competition caused traffic jams on the Marcelo Fernan Bridge and some parts of the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.

“We will also be announcing the opening of our registration soon. We would like to finalize the venue before we do it. We will get in touch in the coming weeks,” Galura said.

Race for Bantayan

10656532_10152345712018947_1060258140_nMeanwhile, three Filipinos will be racing for a cause in the 2014 Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii on Oct. 10.

William Veto qualified via a legacy slot with more than 15 70.3 Ironman races tucked under his belt, while Gadric Chunsenfu and Joseph Palisco won the slots in a lottery by World Triathlon Corp. (WTC).

These three triathlon athletes will use the opportunity to raise funds and help build more houses in the Gawad Kalinga Ironman Village in Bantayan Island, Cebu.

The Ironman Foundation, in partnership with Gawad Kalinga, broke ground last August 4 for the construction of 25 houses in Barangay Ticad, Bantayan. (Heart Rizarri)


Leave a Reply