Capitol Administrator Atty. Mark Tolentino was tasked by Governor Hilario P. Davide III to ensure necessary support and assistance to families displaced by fire in Barangays Guizo and Mantuyong in Mandaue City that razes about 500 houses on Saturday dawn.
Tolentino together with the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO), Provincial Social Welfare Development Office (PSWDO), Provincial General Services Office (PGSO) and other concerned departments were at the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC) to help oversee response and relief efforts undertaken by the Mandaue City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) led by Felix Suico Jr. since Saturday morning.
As agreed during the coordination meeting with CDRRMO, temporary relocation will be at the CICC parking area only due to stability issues of the CICC structure. Possible stay of fire victims may be up to two months.
As of Sunday, March 13, there are 2,227 households accommodated at the CICC Grounds. There are 1,252 households from Brgy. Mantuyong and 975 households from Brgy. Guizo affected by the early morning fire.
The following were the initial support the provincial government shared last March 12, 2016:
- Daily water supply provided by Provincial Engineering’s Office (PEO) watertrucks in partnership with Pilipinas Water.
- Rice, canned goods (initially provided for victims) and food packs (for support group) prepared by the PSWDO in collaboration with City Social Welfare Office (CSWO).
- Additional tents delivered by PDRRMO. Tents were initially set-up by CDRRMO.
- Stand-by medical team with ambulance provided by Provincial Health Office (PHO).
- Capitol Security Unit (CSU), Tactical, CentComm provided peace and order and security assistance.
- Helped in establishing a Command Center.
- Helped in establishing a Relief Drop-Off Center.
- Gave assistance for Camp Management.
Few issues that need to be addressed are additional tents, or structure to protect them in case of rain. Likewise, control of dogs, pets and reduce man-made risks such as fire, or protection from any diseases.
Mandaue has provided 18 portable toilets and have asked Cebu City to augment for more. Portalets will be cleaned by the city’s general department services every three days plus daily garbage collection.
A family kitchen was set-up last Saturday by CSWO. The concerned Local Government Unit (LGU) primarily provides for meals/food during disasters. The provincial government will support or augment in the event they need assistance.
City Social Welfare Development Office provided for the entertainment and other activities for the children.