Following an incident of burglary, the Capitol assigned more security personnel at the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC).
Capitol security Chief Loy Anthony Madrigal said five more warm bodies were deployed in the area. There are already eight people, hired as job orders employees, tasked to guard the facility.
He added they already asked the assistance of the Special Weapons and Tactics and police officers from the Mandaue City Police Office to augment the security in the evening.
Capitol officials headed by Provincial Administrator Atty. Mark Tolentino went to the facility last July 31 to host a press briefing about the temporary use of the CICC.
Representatives of the Department of Social Welfare and Development Office (DSWD) 7 and Gawad Kalinga (GK) were also there.
The facility was no longer operational after sustaining damage from the 7.2 magnitude earthquake and super typhoon Yolanda last year.
However, it was used as a warehouse of relief goods and other supplies for typhoon victims in the north by DSWD and Gawad Kalinga.
The Capitol also used it to store the emergency stocking refinement facility for emergency purposes as well.
“We are required to keep stock emergency relief goods. CICC is used to house these goods to be used for our relief operations for other emergencies such as typhoon Glenda or fires,” said Provincial Administrator Atty. Mark Tolentino.
Recently, news broke out that unauthorized persons ransacked GK’s stocks, which are mostly clothes and bottled water, last June 18.
GK Head Antonio “Toby” Florendo said they are still investigating the incident.
In the initial investigation, Florendo said there is no forced entry on the storage room but new angles come out.
“We have to come up with a clearer picture before we issue a complete statement,” he said.
The stocks were in GK possession since May. They are planning to distribute the items for other emergency cases since they could not distribute them anymore for Yolanda victims.
Florendo said no inventory was conducted yet on the items pending the investigation. He asked the province to provide more CCTV footages during the incident.
According to Tolentino, they are giving GK time to investigate the matter. He said the Capitol is also interested to learn about the outcome of the investigation to guide their future actions.
“It may be best for us to allow them conduct the investigation and discuss it with us. Then we decide what is best for both parties after that,” Tolentino said.
As for fate of the CICC, the Capitol is leaning towards selling the facility to Mandaue City, which already expressed interest to acquire the facility.
The parties are still negotiating on the purchase price of the facility, which was built in 2007 for around Php 850 million.