Gov. Hilario P. Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes A. Magpale assured visiting police officials from South Korea that the Provincial Government is doing its best to ensure the safety of all Koreans, as well as all other nationals, visiting and living in Cebu.
“It is our primary goal to keep Cebu safe for all tourists. Our Regional Police Office has put up security measures to ensure the safety of all the places where tourists go,” Davide told Senior Supt. General Kim Jae Won, commissioner of the Chungnam Provincial Police Agency (CPPA), who paid a courtesy call at the Capitol last week.
Magpale echoed the assurance of the governor, saying Cebu is relatively safe and the Provincial Government is constantly coordinating with authorities to provide security for the tourists.
Kim, who led the CPPA seven-member delegation, was on a four-day trip in Cebu to renew their partnership agreement with the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7. The friendly relation between the CPPA and PRO 7 started in 2005.
Joining Davide and Magpale in welcoming the South Korean police delegation were Provincial Board Members Yolanda Daan, Miguel Magpale, Glenn Bercede and Earl Tidy Oyas.
Earlier, vice president of the Cebu Korean Association Inc., Sang Hyun Kim, said that as of September this year, more than 20,000 Koreans have entered Cebu, either to study, to do business or to visit for leisure.
Kim expressed confidence that under the leadership of Davide and Magpale, South Korean nationals are safe in Cebu.
The Chungnam police chief also told the top Capitol officials of the warm welcome they received from their counterparts when they visited different police offices in Cebu.
“I can see their (police) kindness. They welcome us as if we are members of the family,” Kim said.
The CPPA and PRO-7 signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) last Nov. 7 to continue their mutual cooperation and enhance their friendly relations.