Despite intensive coverage of disasters brought about by tropical cyclones that hit Southern Cebu recently, Suroy-Suroy Cebu 3-Day Tour will push through on January 21 to 23, 2015, Vice Governor Agnes Magpale announced yesterday.
Magpale, chairperson of the Committee on Tourism and International Affairs, added that participants will only be visiting 12 instead of 13 destinations in the countryside tour.
“Only Alcantara backed out because their boardwalk is totally damaged. The others are determined to push through with the event,” Magpale said.
Suroy-Suroy Sugbo’s Southern Trail destinations are Carcar City, Barili, Moalboal, Alegria, Malabuyoc, Samboan, Oslob, Santander, Boljoon, Dalaguete, Argao, and Talisay City.
Typhoon Seniang’s torrential rains caused rivers to overflow on December 30 last year, which severely affected some parts in southern Cebu. In some parts, the rains resulted to intense flooding. The flooding, in turn, caused the Dumblog Bridge that connects Argao and Sibonga to collaps, making transportation challenging for residents and motorists.
“We were also assured by DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) that the temporary steel bridge will be put up soon to give way to the buses,” Magpale said.
DPWH will install a temporary two-way steel bridge to reconnect Sibonga and Argao, which can accommodate vehicles weighing up to 20 tons. They also assured that the bridge will be put up before the Sinulog celebration.
Suroy-Suroy will only use buses that can pass through the steel bridge.
“Padayon gihapon ta (We will continue). This is a better way to see the southern part of Cebu, especially when we want to emphasize our eco-tourism. Makita pud nato na unsa na ang atong kaigsuonang Sugbuanon didto nga naigo intawn sa Seniang (We can also visit our fellow Cebuanos affected by Seniang),” Magpale said.
Suroy-Suroy Cebu, under the Suroy-Suroy sa Sugbo Foundation, aims to help and develop the different potential eco-tourism destinations in the south.
Suroy-Suroy guests will be able to see and enjoy two new destinations this year: Mainit Springs in Barangay Montaneza in Malabuyoc, and the five-tier Aguinid Falls in Barangay Tangbo in Samboan.
However, the tour won’t include Kawasan Falls in Badian town this year.
Kawasan’s crystal waters were damaged, natural landscape was deformed and also swept some of the man-made structures in area. These were caused by typhoon Queenie last year.
The province is accommodating a maximum of 200 guests for the southern trail in 2015. As of yesterday, bookings have already reached 80.
Suggested tour package rates range from P7,000 to P14,000. Magpale said that the province opted to shorten the destinations of the southern trail so that guests will have ample time to relax and enjoy in each stop.
For booking inquiries visit www.cebu.gov.ph/suroysuroysugbo